It is really really difficult to make quality online connections! It’s even harder to become known, liked and trusted to the point that people would actually consider purchasing your products and/or services.
Here are 5 things that always crack me up when people reach out to me.
- “Hey”! or “Hi”! – What???? No first name? I’m sorry, but if I’m just on an email blast that you have sent out hoping for something to “stick”, that’s lame. My name is Tim. Please use it.
- Guest post or adverting request – Occasionally I get a request from somebody to guest post, or advertise on my website. The first thing I always ask in reply via email is where else I can connect with them, to learn more about their business and brand. I know this may shock you, but approximately 95% disappear because you know, any extra effort beyond me just accepting their random request is too much work 🙂
- DMs are D-U-M-B! “You are fantastic“. “You rock“. “I’m enjoying your tweets“. DMs are direct messages on Twitter. It’s an automatic private message that is sent when you follow somebody. Sorry, these are dumb. A waste of time. How can you possibly say any of these things about me, when I just hit a follow button? Get to know people first, then take a couple of minutes out of your busy schedule and send a note if you have additional information for them
- Personalize a LinkedIn invite – We are all busy. I get that. Life has us going a million miles per hour. But please take the time to personalize a LinkedIn invite. I bet you can get it down to 30 seconds or less per invite in no time at all. How much better do you feel when somebody sends you a personal note, rather than Bob Smith from Alto Bonito, Texas randomly asking you to connect. Who? Where? Why? 🙂
- Adding people to your email list without their permission – NEVER ever do this, no matter how tempting it may be some time. Automatic “unsubscribe”!
Please leave a note in the comments below if you have any thing to add to this list. I know, some of the these tactics can be annoying. I prefer to laugh it off and go on with my day!
I’ve compiled 26 of my best social networking & personal branding tips as a free gift for subscribing to my website. Enter your name and email address below, and you’ll never miss an update!