What is personal branding?
Wikipedia defines it as,
“Personal Branding is the practice of people marketing themselves and their careers as brands. While previous self-help management techniques were about self-improvement, the personal-branding concept suggests instead that success comes from self-packaging.“
It’s interesting to explore the different explanations of personal branding on the internet.
One of my favourites is,
“Simply, personal branding is what makes you different.” – Chalene Johnson
Did I mention that some people don’t even believe that personal branding is “a thing”?
In an incredibly noisy online space, how do you stand out?
Today more than ever, personal branding is incredibly important. The tools are there to stand out and be a game changer by helping those who really need it.
Many people undervalue their worth online in one, or multiple niches that they are working in.
Always remember that people love to work with like-minded people, so don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and build a kick-a** community of raving fans.
When I think of personal branding, 5 things come to mind:
- Be Yourself – Be the authentic awesome you! Don’t try to be somebody that you are not. It rarely works, and you’ll just look silly
- Engage Others – Engaging your audience is just as important as putting out high quality content. There is nothing worse than broadcasting and ignoring those you are trying to impress
- Be Consistent – If you are in, you are in. Show up often. A red flag for me when I come across a brand is if their social media & blog content is inconsistent, with long breaks of nothing at all.
- Be of Service – Once you get the mindset of helping others, it will be a game changer. The money will be there, as long as you don’t focus on it
- Smile – A smile can change everything (even when you are writing). Building a brand can be stressful but you still gotta have fun! If you are all business all the time, it will affect your brand negatively.
For me, personal branding is summarized perfectly by Jeff Bezos,
- What does personal branding mean to you?
- What steps are you taking to develop a “rock star” brand ASAP?
I would love to hear your thoughts!
How can I help? Email me at Tim@TimMushey.com or reach out on social media any time!
Did you like this article? If so, why don’t you join us for exclusive content and 26 free social networking and personal branding tips?
Just enter your first name and email address below!